Last night at about 6:15 I was in the kitchen preparing dinner for my family, my husband was doing work in his office and my kids had just gotten home from football practice and were getting cleaned up; simultaneous to our evening activities a storm was rolling in…..within minutes the skies opened and the winds kicked in. Boom – a loud noise of thunder and the LIGHTS WENT OUT!!!!! There we were scattered throughout our house with no power!
Being prepared for a power outage can alleviate chaos in a home.
Below are a few tips of how to be prepared for a power outage.
1. Stay calm!
2. Have a meeting place in your home so that everyone can be together. This is essential if you have young kids.
3. Know where your list of important phone numbers are so that you can call the electric company to notify them of the outage
4 Have candles and matches together in one place
5. Have a flashlight accessible on all floors of your home
6. Have a battery back up for your sump pump
7. Switch off all lights in the home that were on when the power went out
8. Do not open your refrigerator or freezer
Having a few of these tips in place can truly make a difference.
The above article, Are You Prepared For A Power Outage In Your Home, was written by Noah Levy – a REALTOR assisting buyers and sellers with their Real Estate needs along Chicago’s North Shore Suburbs.