I’ve been selling on Chicago’s North Shore for over fifteen years. Many first time buyers start their search online as so much information is available. If you are currently renting a home and considering your first home purchase then perhaps some of the tips that I share with my first time buyers may be helpful to you too.
- Check your credit score – Lenders base your mortgage largely on your credit score.
- Meet with a lender and get pre-qualified – you will need a pre- approval letter when you submit an offer and it’s also good to know what is the range you can spend on your new home.
- Set you housing budget. Just because “you can afford” to spend x you may not want to – I always tell my clients to take a look at the other things they want to continue to do such as annual vacations, health club memberships, saving for kids college and/or retirement.
- Start exploring the areas which interest you – go to local parks, take a walk, hit the town, eat at a local restaurant – do you like the vibe?
- Narrow your priorities – is living in a certain town of most importance or is having a particular style/size house a priority.
- Partner with a Real Estate Broker who is experienced, knowledgeable and familiar with where you want to live. A local broker will have knowledge of inventory which is not the market yet.
- MOST IMPORTANT – HAVE FUN!!!!
If you are considering buying a home in Highland Park IL, Glencoe, Deerfield, Winnetka, Kenilworth and surrounding North Shore Suburbs give me a call 312.203.2416. It’s important to work with a REALTOR who works full-time, knows the inventory, communities and schools.